We have an immediate vacancy for a Petroleum/Petrochemical/Fuels Chemist to join our oil consultancy team, based in our Singapore office.
As a Consultant Chemist in MTD’s oil consultancy team, you will be responsible for performing forensic investigations into quality disputes on a variety of different liquid cargoes and fuels. Such work is undertaken for clients in the marine and energy sectors, including international insurance companies, oil traders, oil majors, bunker suppliers, ship owners, P&I Clubs, claims handlers, loss adjusters and solicitors.
Our clients appoint MTD to provide clear and independent technical advice into the cause of an incident and how the problem might best be mitigated. Such investigations will typically involve attendance at the site of an incident (often at very short notice) to gather evidence (e.g. obtain documentation, oversee the proper sampling of a material in line with International Standard procedures, interview involved parties etc.) and manage what are often high-pressure, contentious situations, including carrying out joint surveys and providing real-time advice on mitigation. Further investigation may involve laboratory analysis/examination of samples, using routine International Standard test methods and various forensic analytical techniques, following which you will compile the findings of the investigation into a technical report. Ultimately, you may be required to give expert evidence in Court, Arbitration or Mediation.
The list below provides an overview of the key aspects of the Consultant Chemist role:
- Attend at incidents (on board Vessels, in shore storage terminals, refineries and at laboratories) worldwide to perform forensic investigations into petroleum, petrochemical and other liquid cargo or fuel quality claims.
- Prepare sampling and testing protocols for liquid cargoes and bunker fuels in line with International Standards.
- Witness and supervise these sampling operations.
- Gather evidence in relation to the background and circumstances of the incident under investigation.
- Review and consult documentation, including technical documentation and standards, where required.
- Prepare testing protocols and witness and supervise analysis of samples at testing laboratories, including the MTD Cardiff laboratory, using a combination of routine oil analysis and forensic analytical techniques.
- Manage cases by reporting to clients (insurers, trading/oil companies, ship owners/P&I Clubs, lawyers) and liaising with other parties involved in the incident (shipping agents, inspectors, other experts and surveyors).
- Prepare written technical advices and reports.
- Attend meetings with clients to discuss the findings of investigations.
- Provide expert evidence in mediation, arbitration or court.
Examples of some of the varied investigations that MTD’s oil consultancy department has undertaken are shown below, illustrating the diverse nature of the work you wold be involved in:
- Investigate the cause of an apparent increase in the level of oxygenated species in a cargo of naphtha bound for discharge in South Korea;
- Investigate the cause of trace levels of carcinogenic aromatic components in a vegetable oil rejected for discharge in China;
- Investigation to determine the nature and source of a particulate contamination reported in a cargo of jet fuel rejected for discharge in Australia;
- Investigation into the apparent increase in trace impurities in multiple cargoes of MEG shipped from a production plant in the Middle East to various locations worldwide, including China;
- Investigation into and remediation of a microbiological contamination of a cargo of gasoil loaded to a Vessel in North Africa;
- Assessment and guidance on maintaining the quality of a light distillate product transhipped from an oil tanker that had been attacked and damaged in a terrorist incident in the Middle East;
- Assessment of the quality of Vegetable Oil on a Vessel that had been captured by pirates off Eastern Africa;
- Research the impact of organic chlorine contamination of crude oils on refinery operations;
- Investigation into multiple allegations of poor quality marine fuel oil (bunker fuel) having been supplied to ocean-going Vessels, involving the development of a variety of non-standard compositional analysis;
- Audit of the sampling and testing procedure in place at a refinery in South Africa;
- Advise on the measurement and risk associated with trace level impurities in liquefied gas cargoes shipped from the USA to Africa;
- Advise on the underground storage of liquid petroleum products in Singapore;
The nature of the marine and energy industries means that work can be unpredictable, with travel often required at short notice and to a variety of international locations. Ideally, you will:
- Have a degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Petroleum Chemistry.
- Have experience in the sampling of oil, petrochemicals, bunker fuels and other bulk liquid products.
- Have expertise in the testing of petroleum products and petrochemicals to international standard test methods (IP, ISO, ASTM) and other investigative, non-routine instrumental tests (for example, Gas Chromatography, Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry, Scanning Electron Microscopy etc.).
- Be prepared to travel at short notice and work unpredictable hours.
- Be self-motivated, practical and an excellent problem solver.
- Have the ability to manage high pressure situations, including in the field.
- Have the ability to self- manage workloads, but also to work as an effective part of a team of consultants of varied technical disciplines (for example, you will be working alongside mariners, engineers and other technical staff).
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills, including preparing scientific and technical reports and explaining complex issues to non-scientific clients.
- Be prepared to provide expert witness evidence when required.
If you are interested in this position, please contact us at email@example.com, sending a CV and requesting an application form. Alternatively, you may write to:
Minton, Treharne & Davies Ltd
Forest Farm Industrial Estate
CF 14 7HY
Minton, Treharne & Davies (S) Pte Ltd.
1 Northbridge Road
# 10 – 06 High Street Centre