Job Title: Metallurgist / Materials Scientist
Department: Analysis & Testing
Salary: Dependant on experience
An opportunity has arisen for a suitably qualified metallurgist/materials scientist to become part of our busy Materials Testing Laboratory. Serving a wide range of industries such as aerospace, medical, automotive, rail and power generation, we work in the research and development of new products, the improvement and quality control of existing products and investigate problems in their production and end use. The laboratory undertakes a diverse and interesting variety of work, encompassing all fields of metallurgy and materials science of a variety of materials, components and structures including validation studies, routine testing, analysis and failure investigation.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and driven individual with a strong team working ethic to join a close-knit team covering a wide range of disciplines including materialography, mechanical testing, optical microscopy and electron microscopy.
The position is based at our Cardiff laboratory complex.
- Perform material and metallurgical assessments and mechanical testing in support of investigative and validation work.
- Technical responsibility for ensuring conformance to procedures and specifications; ensuring conformance to BS EN ISO/IEC 17025 requirements.
- Preparation and review of technical procedures.
- Provide technical input to materialography and materials testing functions.
- Liaising with external and internal clients to ensure excellent service.
Your Skills and Qualifications
- The successful candidate will have a degree in a relevant engineering/science-related subject (minimum 2.2).
- Relevant industry experience.
- Non-graduate candidates with relevant metallurgical experience will be considered.
- GCSE English at a minimum grade C.
- Candidates should be competent in computing (Microsoft Office).
- Excellent communication skills.
- A full driving licence is required.
If you are interested in this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, sending a CV and covering letter.
Closing Date: 31st March 2023